wtorek, 17 kwietnia 2012

Peanuts and popcorn

Weekend for us usually means relaxing, planning and socializing. This one was no different. We were sleeping till late, looking for a perfect equipment for our new hen house, where we're moving in in a month and of course going out in the evening.

It's been already a long time, since we've been in a cinema. They are playing lately few movies, that are not very ambitious, but filled with action and special effect, so we decided to watch some... "Wrath of the Titans". A lot of mythical creatures, elements of the greek mythology, loads of special effects in 3D... that was our choice. After all, who said that watching only serious movies with deep message is right. Cheap entertainment is good as well from time to time :) Before the movie always the same dilemma: sweet or salty popcorn? And later, during the break... yes, in Holland they do make breaks in a middle of the movies: smokers are happy, the ones who've drunk a lot of coke as well and me... I'm a bit irritated. So during the break, Maurice's big surprisement, when I ask him "Take this empty box and throw it away!". Why would be anyone bothered with such a nonsense like leaving trashes in a cinema? The staff is gonna clean here after the movie anyway! After all, that's what they are paying them for. At least that's how it looks according to the Dutch. In polish cinemas, though the staff is also cleaning the movie theater, I always try to leave my seat tidy when I leave. A matter of a personal culture I guess (or in this sense, rather national culture). What do I know...

But than, it was just a beginning. After the movie we met with our friends in a very popular pub, Samson. The place that almost every citizen of Nijmegen knows. I wanned to visit it since the holiday, when I was not even living in the Netherlands yet, but somehow I couldn't manage. Everytime I was passing by, no matter if it was a day or night, summer, autumn or winter, there were always people sitting inside the bar, but also outside. Quite a lot of people. Since I'm a very shy and timid  creature by nature, the crowd was always overawed me. But that was the day! The day I finally crossed the door of the legendary Cafe Samson! 

The first thing I've noticed was a big mess on the floor around the tables. I couldn't figure out what was that small, light white-beige junk there. I pre-ignored it. Luckly we found a free, big table for all of us, we ordered the beer (each of us took a different brand) and a friend brought a bowl of peanuts in shells. Now suddenly I realized what was going on, while I was watching my companions how they remove the shells of peanuts and... let them fall on a floor. And it was perfectly fine for them. Making such a mess in a bar. I was astonished with that view. Couldn't believe that the staff is looking what they're doing and not making a single remark. Not even being annoyed with the behavior of the messy customers! In Poland if you'd try something like that, someone would immidiately lynch (at least would give you an evil look). It was loads of the peanut shells in the whole pub. Next to the bar there was a huge basket filled with peanuts and bowls, so anyone could take as much as he'she wants anytime. Just a local tradition of the place. Apparently everyone knows it. I'm still a bit shocked, because till now I found Holland as quite a neat and well organised country...

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...